NSCR ~ Random Thoughts and Essays

Nia Skywalk's CrossRoads (NSCR) is my website. I created it to be a nexus, or hub, for all my interests. This 'Blog a place to post random thoughts, essays, jokes, and knitting/crocheting/crafts, and pirates ... did I mention RANDOM?

14 September 2006

The Asteroid formerly known as a Planet

134340 is the asteroid formerly known as Pluto.  Isn't it enough that they had to embarrass the poor dwarf planet by reducing its status in the solar system?  Did they really have to grind the fact into the ground by giving it a NUMBER?

Pluto has been a planet my entire life, and the entire lives of many individuals and now they are saying, Whoops, made a mistake, it isn't really a planet in our solar system, it is really a planet from somewhere else and is just and erratic asteroid the just happens to have a defined path around Sol.

Yeah, I know, there are tons of asteroids out there and they are on a specific path around the sun as well.  But I enjoyed seeing the one path creating a flaw -- a bit of randomness in to the rather methodical plod and pretty path of the other eight planets on their solar paths when I looked at models of the solar system.

From now on, the pictures and models of the solar system will look Unfinished to me... and just a little too perfect. Or will they still teach Pluto as a planet?  I am curious to see what will happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home